Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sea Change Review

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
Publisher: Point
Pages: 290
Genre: Realistic Romance with a little fantasy
From: Library

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her (now ex) boyfriend, she's happy to be spending the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

On the lush, beautiful island, Miranda finds new friends and a community with a mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, romance...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?


             Anyone who has been to an island before would love this book.  On any island there's the locals places and there are the families that have summer house there.  Imagine if one of them had a relationship with a local.  Scandalize, I know.  But the world created in this book has something extra, mermaids, or at least there are plenty of legends looming around this island.
             I felt that this book was a bit in a rush, or actually it was building up at a nice pace then it got a bit faster and stopped with a wimpy excuse of a climax.  It was as if the book had been cut in half.  I really liked this book and if there isn't a sequel I will be very disappointed in this author.
            I felt as if I was really getting to know Leo with Miranda; he was a strong character that only have developed more with time.  Miranda was finding herself in this novel, and didn't discover who she was yet.  Another reason for a sequel.  I was really excited to see what type of person Miranda would become, but it never happened.  All of the other characters were like that they were just starting to show their true selves when the book ended.
           I was just beginning to discover the theme.  I know I've said this a lot, but it's true.  I know there were tons of themes in there, but the only one that was developed enough was: to find yourself you might have to change your surroundings and find something else first.
          I'm e-mailed Aimee Friedman to ask for a sequel, she seems to be planning one already, but I just wanted to put my reasons in there.  No answer yet, but if she does you guys will be the first to know.

Characters: 7
Plot: 6
Suspense: 8
Theme: 6
Pace: 7
Mood: 8
Cover: 8
Overall:7.2- excellent writing for only half a book

No comments:

Post a Comment