Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cloaked Review

Cloaked by Alex Flinn
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 337
Genre: Re-told fairy tale
From: Library

Synopsis:
I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.
From Barnes and Noble.com

Check out the trailer!






            Alex Flinn always does a very good job with her books.  She's a talented author and always does great research when it comes to her modern fairy-tales.  Her other fairy tale boods were very well-known fairytales.  When people asked me what the books were about I'd say, "a mordern Beauty and the Beast," or, "a mordern Sleeping Beauty".  This one was harder to decribe.  It's a mix of sevarl not-very-well-known fairytales.  Even I, a fan of fairytalds, didn't know all of them.  Out of all three of Alex Flinn's fairytale boods I like Kiss in Time the best only because I find Alex Flinn a constant, pretty good author, not as extraordinary as some.  (Yet I still enjoy her work).
            I enjoy Alex Flinn's work like a young girl enjoys Sarah Dessen's books, they're both not the best writers but they're popular because of how real they are.  Beastly and Cloaked were both written from a guy's perspective, yet both are so real.  I saw Beastly in theather's last weekend and WOW! both actors did such a great job of protarying the characters.  I think this is partly because the characters were so real and prononced in the book.  Johnny and Meg were both great.  It would be easy for me to image meeting them on one of my trips to Key West.  (I usually stop in Miami). 
            Okay, so this book was very normal paced, didn't vary.  I wasn't really in as much suspence as I'd like so, yeah.  I'd say that this book was good but no really THAT good.

Characters-9
Plot- 8
Suspence- 7
Theme- 7
Pace- 7
Mood-7
Cover- 8
Overall- 7.3- It ws kind of like Alex wrote it with not very much motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment