Saturday, September 17, 2011

Revolution Review

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Publisher: Delacorte Press October 12, 2010
Pages: 472
Genre: Historical Fiction/ Time Travel/ Romance/ Grief
From: Library

Synopsis: BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.
From Goodreads.com

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
I’ve just about given up on YA.  Every new book I open is a waste of writing.  All I’m thinking is “What self-respecting editor would let this go on the shelves?”  Often I end up abandoning the book half way through because I just can’t take it anymore.   Authors should think about books before they send them off to the publisher they should look at the characters and plot; they should think, “Is this how my characters want the reader to feel?”  The book should be a roller coaster of emotions that keep me hooked on each page, and drag me into the character’s world.  There are lots of bad books out there, but every now and then a book finds its way to you that is just- perfect.  Revolution is that book.
Every character I met was so real.  I felt like I could go and facebook friend them.  Andi herself is one of the most amazing characters, the most amazing person, I’ve met in a long time.  Her brother died last year and she blames herself for it.  Her dad is in a foreign country and her mom has lost it.  No one is there to help her so she just goes deeper into her depression.  The only thing keeping her afloat is her love for music and her talent on the guitar.  Andi is a musical genius!  I can tell she really loves music because she gives examples of music she likes.  These are real songs too.  I went on YouTube and listened to them and after hearing Andi’s opinion they became my favorite songs.  Andi even writes songs!  I love it when books use songs because that shows just how talented the author is.
 Andi’s best friend Vijay is hilarious I love how is mom is pushing him to be the best at his very prestigious school, and he’s fighting her.  This isn’t a very original Indian-American teenage plot, but it’s funny and Jennifer makes it work.  All of the characters are great; I couldn’t possibly describe them all.
From the very beginning I was hooked.  Andi drew me in and the plot grabbed hold.  There wasn’t a dull moment in this book I was always soaring to the next scene the next page to find out what happens next.  Ms. Krista Marino should be very proud of herself.  She really did a great job editing this book; I didn’t know that there could be anything this good in YA.  The intertwining of Andi and Alex’s stories was perfect and worked together well.  Towards the middle it did get a little Alex heavy, but nothing can be perfect.  There was a major twist during this part that I did not see coming, and it could have very well ruined the book, but it worked.  This is where you really see Andi changing and it was very powerful.  It was like watching someone become an adult through the years in just a few pages.  It left a punch that sent the message right to the heart, never to be forgotten. 
      
Jennifer really thought about this book a lot.  So I thought about this review a lot.  This book was a prefect ten.  It may have been historical, but Alex makes it interesting.  There was romance; Andi found a really nice guy.  The book also helps with grief.  That probably wasn’t in the synopsis, but the whole book is Andi dealing with the death of her brother.  I would recommend that everyone go out at once and buy this book from your local bookstore because I don’t often read books, but when I was done with this one my first response was to turn back to page one. 
Characters: 10
Plot: 10
Suspense: 10
POV: 10
Theme: 10
Style: 10
Details: 10
Cover: 10
Overall: 10!!!


P.S.- the switch in POV between Alex and Andi was really beautiful visually and story-wise. 
P.P.S. – Shine on You Crazy Diamond is now one of my favorite songs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment